My latest kitchen creation makes you feel just as it tastes... AMAZING. My personal goal when reaching for food is to nourish my body's needs as well as satisfy my taste buds. These pancakes do exactly that. I LOVE to eat these either pre OR post training because it stabilizes my blood sugar while giving me the proper fuel I need to train hard or recover from hard training.
Below is the recipe for my organic high protein, high fiber, high MCT & omega pancakes that do NOT include any gluten/grains, sugar (with the exception of the fruit) or dairy. I've included some health notes on the ingredients to understand the value of combining them and how they positively effect your system when eating them.
- 4 Eggs (I use Organic High Omega eggs from Whole Foods)
- 1 tbsp Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup of Organic LITE Coconut Milk (I use SO Delicious dairy free Culinary Coconut Milk LITE also available at Whole Foods- I love that it's NOT in a can. Also note that the fat content in coconut milk is MCT fat; MCT is fat that burns fat and is an excellent source of fuel)
- A few drops of Organic stevia (I love and use Omica's Vanilla Stevia)
- 1 tsp of Organic Cinnamon (cinnamon is excellent to stabilize blood sugar levels)
- 1 tbsp Organic grounded Chia Seeds *Chia seeds are high in Omegas, fiber and add some extra protein as well)
- 1/2 Cup Organic Coconut Flour (A gluten-free flour that is high is fiber and offers "good fat as well as some extra protein)
- 1 tbsp of Organic baking soda
- 1 scoop of Protein Powder (My staple protein powder, Sunwarrior Vanilla protein powder, comes from a clean, all natural vegan source and tastes incredible)
- Start by whisking the eggs until they get 'fluffy" in a large bowl then add the other wet ingredients: stevia, vanilla extract and coconut milk.
In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients together: protein powder, coconut flour, chia seeds, cinnamon and baking soda.
Once all ingredients are mixed well separately, mix them together in a large bowl until the texture looks like cake batter. I allow mine to sit for 2-4 min before cooking.
I use coconut cooking spray all over my iron cast skillet (a normal pan is fine as well) and keep the heat LOW (It's very easy to burn these... I definitely did SEVERAL times in the beginning so no worries if you do. Just play with the temperature until you get it just right)
I like using my protein powder scoop to serve the batter into the pan because it gives the perfect amount and I like the flat bottom it has to flatten out the batter and get it perfectly round. Once its in the pan, I let it cook until the edges get slightly brown and then I flip it. I usually add more coconut oil spray to the pan before I flip it so both sides stay brown perfectly.
For the fruit topping I take some organic frozen blueberries and raspberries and put them in the hot pan for about a minute. Once the berries warm up I add them over my pancakes with some Organic coconut oil and unsweetened coconut flakes for the finishing touch. Another yummy way to eat these is with Almond Butter on them! Which every way you chose they will taste amazing and you will feel light and energized from them!