Acai has become all the rave over the past decade. Social media feeds are obsessed with this Brasilian treat that originates from Brasil. Can't blame the masses for indulging in both virtual land real-life love of these bowls. As a long time surfer years ago, I discovered the magic of Acai bowls and have been hooked ever since.
My Acai recipes have evolved over the past decade greatly. I started with the classic, which included the granola and all of the fruit. That was great while it lasted however due to my diet being structured towards performance, I ditched 95% of the typical sugary elements and implemented protein, healthy fats, low glycemic fruits, and water to blend it. This recipe will definitely taste very different compared to 99% of the Acai bowls out there due to the decrease of sugar in it. I love that it tastes just as good (I think better for those who aren't into so much sugar) and is so much better for your body... especially if you enjoy them several times a week like I do.
- 2 packs of UNSWEETENED Organic Acai
- 2 servings protein powder (I can't say it enough- I LOVE my Sunwarrior Vanilla (vegan) protein powder- It really shapes the flavor of this bowl and it's SUGAR-FREE)
- 1 tbsp organic chia seeds
- 1 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp raw almond butter
- Cocoa nibs (optional GOOD fat topping)
- Gluten free sprouted oats (optional GOOD carb)
- Organic mixed berries (a handful is plenty if you want the benefits of the high antioxidants & fiber without a sugar load)
- Banana (If I use any banana, I keep it to a minimum, never using more than half- sometimes Ill add 1/2 frozen banana in the mix to make it extra creamy)
Add to blender: a few ice cubes (2-3 max) Acai packs, protein powder, cinnamon and chia seeds. You can add the almond butter to the mixture OR keep it for a topping which is generally what I do. Be VERY cautious about how much liquid you add if your aiming for that ice cream like texture- thats the difference between making an Acai bowl or ending up with a smoothie.
Its better to add more water as you blend rather then have too much from the start. Start with 1/2 cup of water and if the blender stalls, conservatively add a small amount more until the Acai blends into a creamy texture. The sweet spot of blending will have it to looking like purple sorbet.Empty the goods in a bowl and start adding your toppings. Acai is packed with good fats, antioxidants and creates an addiction your body will love.